|Leadership Albany was established in 1984 for the purpose of identifying and developing leaders in the Albany, GA area, exposing them to issues and problems confronting the community, informing them about institutions in the community and providing a forum for the participants to better know each other.
The program is designed to be an educational experience and as such takes no position and does not attempt to create a consensus or promote specific actions. Rather, it is hoped that the participants with their increased knowledge of the community, a heightened awareness of its institutions and familiarity with its leaders will involve themselves fully in community life and properly utilize their leadership abilities.
Leadership Albany's 800+ graduates have gone on to serve the community in a variety of ways:
- Serving on community service boards
- As elected officials
- As volunteers
Because of their experience in the Leadership Albany program, alumni have organized and developed several projects such as:
- Keep Albany/Dougherty Beautiful (Clean Community Commission)
- Dougherty Leadership Development Institute (for persons with diverse abilities)
- Generation Success (regional student leadership program)
- Choices (helping 8th grade students understand importance of academic decisions)
- Established Dougherty County as a Ferst Foundation for Childhood Literacy community
- Summer mentoring and tutoring of Strive2Thrive families